Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Lapbook

I did the unthinkable in my classical, Charlotte Mason world. I did a semi-unit study. I decided to try something different because I knew my kids would love it.

This week we chose a light load and focused on putting together a lapbook. This is something that has always appealed to the "want-to-be-a-fun-mommy" side of me. I decided I would research the internet and put together my own. I used this YouTube video to learn how to use file folders to make a lapbook. I then used mainly these two blog articles to find my resources.

Refined Metals Academy

Oney Family Adventures

 
We labeled the Mayflower.
We mapped the Mayflower's journey and discussed the Mayflower Compact.
 
We read and colored a mini-book and compared Pilgrims and Native Americans.
 
The following pictures are J.J's. He pretty much did the same thing with a little extra help.
 





We discussed how Squanto helped the Pilgrims.

Of course, I couldn't leave good books out of the equation. To prepare us for our lapbooks, we read the following books.

Squanto: Indian Adventure
Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
N.C. Wyeth's Pilgrims
If you sailed on the Mayflower in 1620

In the end, I would definitely do a lapbook again. Both Lily and JJ really enjoyed the activity. Next time, I'll buy one  and save myself the time of putting it together myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment